Thursday, September 27, 2012

Balance

Sometimes one of the hardest things as an adult, juggling any sort of personal endeavours as we all do, is finding the balance between work and life - it even has its own wikipedia page, it's that important (only partial sarcasm). Work becomes our life, and sometimes doesn't feel like it because we think it's enjoyable, or at least supposed to be.

It's a difficult struggle especially for working students, and for people in film and other artistic/creative industries. There's lots of stress and prep involved before shooting and shooting days can often be 12-14 hrs long, and then there's post production that follows. Stay tuned for details on all that good stuff.

I also came across this blog post asking why do we let creative pursuits take over our lives? I think because despite it all, it's still fun. Because we want to. Because we need to. Because sometimes we forget there are other things in life besides our work and passion.

I bring this up because this will frame what you'll often see in this blog - my struggle between work, life and balance.  I'm pretty stubborn about it, and I can't help it. I'm a Libra, so it's what I do. I don't like too much work, but I also don't like too much non-work. I can't be consistently busy, but I can't be consistently bored either, or I'll go crazy either way. I know many people can relate.

That said, I'm writing this while I'm at work and things are slow. Don't tell my boss. ;) I work 9:30-4 then rush to school for class from 5-10, so when else is there? That's my balance decision for today.

Also, for anyone keeping track, my plan last night to get more sleep backfired, as I somehow woke up this morning more exhausted than most days. This great article on Huffington Post talks further about sleep, or no sleep in Hollywood. It's kind of an issue.

There's just not enough coffee.


D

No comments:

Post a Comment